Nan's birthday

 
The other week I had to take a break from my giant blanket of tiny patches (456 down, 216 to go!), to make a birthday gift.  I didn't particularly want to take a break at the time as I was getting on swimmingly with my little squares and I wanted to carry on going with the flow but, I'd been planning this pressie for my Nan for ages and I knew she'd love it, so a break is what I took.


I have the perfect yarn in mind for the project.  A lovely skein of Manos Lace (Vidia - 6670) that I've had for a little while, but the colours are just right for her.  All I needed was the perfect pattern.  In the end I settled on the Olso Walk Shawl by Susanna IC.

Fine yarn, beads and a delicate lace knit pattern couldn't be more different to the intense crochet squares I had been hooking up and actually it turned out to be a welcome interlude.


This shawl was a delight to make, adding all the teeny tiny beads made it slow work, but not unpleasant for that and the lacy pattern kept things nice and interesting.  I don't do an awful lot of lace knitting but it does make a lovely change of pace when it does happen.

It also never fails to amaze me, how the crumpled heap of knitting like this...



Can be turned into a gorgeous, patterned, fine and drapey shawl with just the application of a little water, like this...



That's one of the things I enjoy about knitting lace, the blocking part is so much fun.

In fact, I enjoyed everything about making this shawl so much, including the finished article, it really was quite a wrench to have to give it away.


I guess that just means I'll have to make it all over again one day.... but, I think I could bare that.



S x





Comments

  1. What a beautiful design. So delicate and I love the tiny beads. I bet your nana was so pleased to receive such a lovely and lovingly made gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shawl is beautiful! Truly amazing. The recipient will be over the moon with it for sure :)
    xo,
    wink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive ....love this yarn,the colour and the finishing touch to this beautiful lace shawl. Your Nan is going to be so happy.

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wunderschön! Material, Farbe und Muster. Mein großes Kompliment
    Liebe Rosaliegrüße ∙∙♥♥∙∙

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning, and beautiful workmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowsers!
    That shawl is really beautiful. What a fabulous present to receive- your Nan will love it.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. so gorgeous! I envy the skill involved here, never been able to master it myself, but can admire the workmanship involved, beautiful!
    BH x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shawl and the yarn are DIVINE!!! Such a wonderful gift.
    ♥ Ana BC

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandra, this is such a beautiful shawl! Love the design, and what a wonderful gift!! Hope your week is lovely! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow Sandra, you are an amazing knitter!! I can only hope one day I'll be half as good as you :-) Absolutely stunning, your nan is going to be delighted! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Your Nan is an extremely lucky lady to receive such a beautiful shawl. I must look at that pattern as I have bought some wool to make a shawl. Happy Birthday to your Nan. Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful shawl - your Nan is going to love it. I have never done any serious lace knitting but it looks fun especially with the little beads. Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sandra that's so beautiful, a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful, your nan will love it. very inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  15. I`m happy i found your blog ,it`s so beautiful here <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my when your page opened in my browser with that gorgeous photo of wrapping paper I was giddy with excitement :) What a lovely gift it turned out beautiful I'm sure your nan just adores it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The shawl is so beautiful Sandra, so delicate and feminine. I'm sure your Nan loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's so pretty ... lucky Nan :D

    I have a skein of Manos Lace I just can't settle on a pattern for, soooo frustrating as isn't it just the most gorgeous yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely beautiful and a gift for any generation. IT looks very complicated and impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fine, webby, wonderful work you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful lacy shawl for your Nan. The addition of those little beads you added were a definite plus. What a gorgeous gift! Now you can make one for yourself!
    Have a lovely day! SandraB

    ReplyDelete